Saturday 6 March 2010

Subject in different positions in the frame.

For this i used a very simple subject. I used a peppercorn as the main subject and a layer of large grains of salt as the background. I was attempting to create a striking and contrasty shot from 2 simple subjects and make something mundane and otherwise boring, interesting.

I took 4 differently framed compositions and ordered them from favourite to least favourite. My favourite shot was chosen because i felt that the composition had a purpose. It seemed intentional and kept central interest without splitting the frame too much. It was also on an intersection on a grid of thirds.

My second favourite shot was the dead central one. Even though it 'punctured' the background and grabbed attention away from the rest of the frame i found that the added impact worked well.

The third in line was a shot with the subject one the edge of the frame in the lower left. This did not work at all. It didn't seem intentional, had no central interest and seemed to throw your eye outside of the frame. There was no natural way to 'read' the image.

My least favourite shot was the first i took. It had no intentional composition whatsoever and it was clear. The main subject was almost central but still off line. It didn't work at all for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment